Friday, November 20, 2009

STRIKE!


This is what my family came home to last night. We all went to watch Jason play in a ward volleyball tournament and when we got home this was posted on the fridge.
Translation:
If you are hungry - fix something.
If you want clean clothes - wash them.
If you want it clean- clean it.
If you are scared at night - deal with it.
If you need help on your homework - good luck.
If you need a ride - hitchhike.
If you are hurt - grab a band aid.
If you want to be tucked in at night - close your eyes and count sheep.
If you need a referee - figure it out or punch it out...may the best one win.
After a full day cleaning, cooking and running them around I got a lot of complaints from my kids last night.
Em and Abbie (at two separate times)- "What's for dinner?"
Me: Chicken
Em and Ab: What kind?
Me: BBQ
Em and Ab? What else?
Me: Rice
Em and Ab: And what else?
Me: Vegetables.
Em and Ab: AHHH Not again!! Haven't we had that all week?
(Does salmon, sandwiches, & a new Iranian dish I tried all sound like BBQ chicken to you?)
Obviously this was just the topper of a lot of build up. So I went on strike and told them that they could knock themselves out and be in charge of making all of their own meals from here on out.
When the kids got home and saw the sign posted on the fridge my 3 girls immediately started crying. (Max didn't even see it because he ran down stairs to turn on the last of the Jazz game. He was to worried about a win over the Spurs.)
Abbie: "I don't want to walk to school and dance!"
Emilee: "I need help with my homework tonight and if you don't fill out my reference paper for for me I will get in so much trouble."
Lucy: "Who will buy Mariah's birthday present and take me to the party?"
After a few minutes of sobbing and pleading with me telling me that they were so sorry. I started to soften up a little and helped Emilee with her homework. I even tucked the little girls in bed.
Then my night continued like this:
11:30 pm - went to bed.
11:45 p.m. Lucy starts crying in her bed from a bad dream.
1:15 am- Jayne wakes up to eat.
2:30 am Abbie wakes up crying with an ear ache.
3:00 am Jayne wakes up again.
3:30 am- Max comes up stairs crying sick to his stomach and throws up.
I make him a bed by us with a bowl and tickle his back while he moans for the next several hours.
4:45 am- Max throws up again.
5:00 am -Jayne wakes up AGAIN for another snack.
5:30 am - Jason's alarm goes off and he gets up from a good nights sleep completely unaware of the nights escapades.
5:45 am - Max gets in bed with me.
6:30 am - Lucy and Jayne are up and at 'em ready for their day!
I guess so much for my strike.
The first thing out of my Lucy's mouth this morning when she walked into my room this morning was "Mom are you still on tarsik? I will eat anything you make for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and will be the best girl ever!" Let's just say that there were a lot more thank yous this morning and a few extra I love yous!
Maybe you should go on strike too!

11 comments:

Shauna said...

Oh my heavens...this cracked me up!! I love the line in Incredibles when Mr. says I just fixed all the problems and now there is more. The life of a mother is a busy one that is for sure, but if anyone can do it with style and still maintain a smile it is definitely you! Good Luck!!

Michelle said...

Bless your heart, Kim!! Ya know - it's WAY too true that Mom's do so much more than anyone realizes. I canNOT believe the miserable night you had ... and life just goes on. You are certainly a trooper ... an inspiration! Good luck being strike free. I hope you all feel better soon.

jamie heaps said...

just got off the phone with you, sounds like you are as busy as always. you are an amazing mom and your kidos are so lucky to have you. i think back to all mom did and you dont really appreciate it till your a mom and know how hard it really is. i know you fancy cooking and wish i could have some of your tasty meals... matt would too i can only imaging the ohhing and aweing that we would hear. i love you and cant waite to see you. sneack a few naps in.

STEPHANIE said...

That sign is awesome! I'm sorry you had such a rough day! You are an awesome Mom-I seriously don't know how you do all you do!

Julie said...

Wow! I'm impressed. I may have to try the strike sometime soon! I can't believe that night! I don't know how you do it! How in the world does Jason sleep through all that?!?!?

oodlesofoversons said...

I LOVE it! I think we all feel like this almost everyday as a mom...and it's funny, because even if you left that sign up, you'd still have nights like the one you had, and really, as mom's, we have no choice but to take care of things!! Man, I really hope you had a better night the day after this post!! xoxo

Melisa said...

I am laughing so hard right now!!! And I just got done complaining to you and your week was just as WILD if not more!!!! I think I need the same sign! :) you are the best mom and your kids are Super Lucky to have you and Jason too!

Jess and Joe said...

That is so funny Kim! I still can't believe the night you had! You are a super mom. I have always thought so. =]

Kelly said...

Way to go Mom! You needed a strike to bad it didn't last a lil longer... So sorry to hear about the sick kids. You are one in a Million! Mom was amazing.. I wonder how she ever did it all and always doing everything with a smile and serving everyone else along the way. I hope you help your self to a good Lunch... with a yummy treat to follow and a good nap real soon! I LOVE You!

Lewis.Muriel.Lily said...

Oh kim I just love you!!!! This has got to be one of the funniest dang things i have ever read! You are one of the best moms ever I cannot believe that night you had you poor thing!!!! You can bring them down here anytime you want for another sleepover we would love it and we promise we won't freeze them to death again either!

Gwen said...

Oh Kim. . .that is exactly what my Mom used to do all the time. She would post her sign on the fridge, and the minute we saw it we knew we were in deep poop. We all hopped to it for awhile. If we don't stand up for ourselves sometimes, we can drowned. You know I love Matt, but he is about making me crazy. He got his job at Eggies, a modern day miracle! We, Dad, Matt, and me are trying to get 1/2 year of school done before Christmas. English and Math are done. Now we have about 12 chapters of History to do, and a finance class. I want to go on strike with you! This too will pass. If it helps at all, I think you are the best Mom ever. . PROMISE!